Wednesday, September 26, 2012

1 Year of FilmSwaggin




My oh my how the time flies.

I started this blog a year ago today because I felt it was finally time to express some of the thoughts that had travelling around in my head for months, or in some cases, years. FilmSwag is more than just a blog I feel. It gives me a platform to reach people and speak on topics that I might otherwise only discuss with certain audiences or in particular settings.



In this day age, media is ever present in most of our lives. And the mediums in which we entertain such media are constantly evolving. From Twitter, to Facebook, to iPads, to HDTV, and Hulu and Youtube and countless others, we are being bombarded by images and stories coming at us like a thousand small comets all vying for our attention across the night sky. It is within this vast realm of media that I started FilmSwag because not all media is created equal and not every story gets told.

Too often people of color have a harder time getting their films financed. Black actors can be nominated for an Oscar one year and completely fall off the map the next. Or what about actors of a certain ethnicity who get typecast in the same role over again? These are just some of the stories that interest me and were the inspiration behind FilmSwag.

This past year has been mostly articles and the occasional music video featured on this site. Within the next few months I'm looking at doing more features on people and their legacies, highlighting up and coming filmmakers and media mavens, and hopefully including some of my own video work. I want to Thank everyone who has ever viewed this site or told a friend about it. I'm proud to say that FilmSwag has been viewed by people in dozens of countries on 6 different continents (still waiting on you, Antarctica). Let's keep getting educated together.

                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment